Using procedures and service programs with the PHP Toolkit for IBM i

The open source PHP Toolkit enables PHP applications to call procedures (functions) that are defined within RPG service programs on IBM i. (For more information on the toolkit, see my toolkit information page.)

Here’s an example that will work with PHP Toolkit API version 1.4.0 or higher. I also included some ‘boilerplate’ to show best practices for connecting to the toolkit and checking for a successful connection. The illustration of how to call a procedure is in the second half.

<?php
require_once('ToolkitService.php');

// connect to toolkit using DB2 credentials (can also leave blank for default authority)
try {
    $conn = ToolkitService::getInstance('*LOCAL', 'MYUSER', 'MYPASS');
} catch (Exception $e) {
    // Determine reason for failure.
    // Probably database authentication error or invalid or unreachable database.
    $code = $e->getCode();
    $msg = $e->getMessage();

switch ($code) {
        case 8001:
            // "Authorization failure on distributed database connection attempt"
            // Usually means a wrong DB2 user or password
            echo 'Could not connect due to wrong user or password.';
            break;
        case 42705:
            echo 'Database not found. Try WRKRDBDIRE to check.';
            break;
        default:
            echo 'Could not connect. Error: ' . $code . ' ' . $msg;
            break;
    } //(switch)
    die; // couldn't connect...handle this however you wish
} //(try/catch)

// set stateless mode for easy testing (no 'InternalKey' needed).
// (setOptions() introduced in v1.4.0)
$conn->setOptions(array('stateless'=>true));

/* If you wish to test this script but you don't have a real service program,
 * use parseOnly and parseDebugLevel as shown below.
 * No program will be called and you'll get your original values back.
 * Simply uncomment the next line to try this great testing feature of the toolkit.
//$conn->setOptions(array('parseOnly'=>true, 'parseDebugLevel'=>1));

// define several input/output params
$params[] = $conn->AddParameterChar('in', 1,'Division', 'DIV', 'A');
$params[] = $conn->AddParameterChar('in', 6,'Product', 'PROD', '123456');
$params[] = $conn->AddParameterPackDec('both', 7, 2, 'Quantity', 'QTY', '4.53');
$params[] = $conn->AddParameterZoned('out', 5, 2, 'Price', 'PRICE', '0');

// define a procedure return param. Can be any type, even a data structure
$retParam = $conn->AddParameterInt32('out', '4-byte int', 'MYRESULT', '13579');

/* Call service program procedure.
 * In this example, assume your program is MYLIB/MYPGM and has a procedure/function 'myproc'
 * (procedure name is case-sensitive).
 * Note: specify optional procedure name in parameter 5, an array with associative index 'func'.
$result = $conn->PgmCall('MYPGM', 'MYLIB', $params, $retParam, array('func'=>'myproc'));

if (!$result) {
    echo 'Error calling program. Code: ' . $conn->getErrorCode() . ' Msg: ' . $conn->getErrorMsg();
}

echo 'Called program successfully.<BR><BR>';
echo 'Input/output params: QTY: ' . $result['io_param']['QTY'] . ' PRICE: ' . $result['io_param']['PRICE'] . '<BR>';
echo 'Procedure return param MYRESULT: ' . $result['retvals']['MYRESULT'];

The above will output something like:

Called program successfully.

Input/output params: QTY: 4.53 PRICE: 0.00
Procedure return param MYRESULT: 13579

This entry was posted in IBM i, iSeries, PHP, System i, Zend Server, Zend's PHP toolkit for IBM i. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Using procedures and service programs with the PHP Toolkit for IBM i

1. Steph says:

Nice, Alan! Love the new toolkit features, as usual!

2. Willian Serpas says:

• Willian Serpas says:

Hello, thnks, its a great code, so i have a situation, my pgm its on zendsvr lib, but my database its on another library, so i recieve the code RNX1216, how i can use something like I5_OPTIONS_INITLIBL=>”OTHERLIB” on ToolkitService like on i5_connect

3. Willian Serpas says:

Hello, thnks, its a great code, so i have a situation, my pgm its on zendsvr lib, but my database its on another library, so i recieve the code RNX1216, how i can use something like I5_OPTIONS_INITLIBL=>”OTHERLIB” on i5_connect

4. Antonio Matteazzi says:

Hello,
    I just started to use ToolKit to retrieve data from iSeries.
    Ii is easy to use, I call RPG program or CL Command and retrieve parameters correctly.
    Only one problem.
    When instance connection, I pass username and password, but when i try to call program, the call is execute sa QUSER and not with the correctly username of connection.
    Why ?
    Thanks for your answer.

• Alan Seiden says:

Antonio, in your RPG program you need to look at the “current user” field, not “user.” See the incoming data structure for “current user.”

• Antonio Matteazzi says:

Thank you for your answer.
        I undestand that “CURUSER” is the right field to use, but at work i have an ERP Software that work already in company and we have many programs that use USER for check the users.
        If I try to use an connection stateless = false, the field USER passed correclty but ISERIES display me all time the message CPF1240, the job XTOOLKIT ended abnormally.
        The first calling end fine, from the second error appears.

5. M??? says:

Hi there, the whole thing is going sound here and ofcourse every
    one is sharing data, that’s in fact good, keep up writing.

6. Greetings from Colorado! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break.
    I enjoy the knowledge you provide here and can’t
    wait to take a look when I get home. I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone
    .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, wonderful site!

7. shalini says:

your php concept is really nice and innovative thanks for sharing those information’s

8. Thank you, I have just been searching for information about this topic for ages
    and yours is the greatest I’ve came upon till now. However,
    what about the bottom line? Are you positive in regards to the supply?

9. En esta ocasión vamos a presentar un tutorial para tener internet sin costo
    telcel en las redes sociales con la operadora telcel de mexico en tu celular con.

10. I’m officially satisfied with this website and that I wished to take the time to thankyou from your underside of my heart!